It is not unusual for foreign embassies and consulates to request that documents are to be translated, notarized, and or authenticated/legalized.
Documents issued by local government councils, State and Federal Government Ministries, such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, educational certificates, police character certificates are expected to pass through the authentication and legalization process.